Thursday, November 10, 2011

Phu Quoc: Hon Thom Island

One day while lying on the beach, a local guy asked me if I wanted to go on a snorkeling tour. He told me that if he found more people it would cost me less money. A few days later I met him again. He told me he had found more people, and asked me if I was still interested. I thought it would be a great opportunity to see the coral reefs. So I said yes. He told me he would pick me up at my hotel the day after. I have to say that I enjoyed the tour, but that he was not prepared to organize a snorkeling tour. The equipment he gave us was inadequate (the mask's glass was blurry and he did not have fins). He did not warn us about the dangers in the zone either -- I was hit by a sea urchin, and a lady hurt her feet with the corals.

If I had to go on another snorkeling tour, I would choose a more professional person. Ask your hotel for the best snorkeling tours they can recommend you. Do not save on this. It is your safety that is at risk. On the following pages you will see what I saw on this tour.

We took a local fishermen boat and we went to an island a few miles south of Phu Quoc called Hon Thom. There we went snorkeling. It was a disappointment for me. I have dived in the Red Sea, and I expected something similar. All I saw were some nice corals and a few colorful fishes. I was told that scuba diving was better, but after seeing what I saw I decided not to go on a scuba diving trip. Scuba diving is not cheap here. If you come to Phu Quoc and scuba dive, or if you have already scuba dived here, I will be pleased to hear your opinions about the dives.
After the snorkeling we went to a beach where we had lunch. We had some excellent fish food.
Phu Quoc, Hon Thom Island, boat

After lunch, we relaxed for a while. We went for a swim, and then we got back on this boat that take us to the big boat we had come with.

In the afternoon we did some snorkelingagain. It was then that I was hit by a sea urchin. A quite poisonous species, by the way.
I do not know the name of this beach. I am not even sure that I got the name of the island right. Anyway, if you want to see what it looked like, click on the picture and you will see a 360 panoramic of this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment